The imagery of being sheep in the midst of wolves is a very scary one.. wolves eat sheep.. and ungodly leaders persecute and kill heavenly ambassadors. The stakes are serious and Jesus instructs them (and us) to:
- be wise.. we are to use our heads and embrace the wisdom of our hearts;
- be innocent.. we are to live from our heart and have pure motives;
- beware men.. be on the alert in our dealing with men of ill-will;
- not be anxious about what to say.. rather trust the Holy Spirit to give the words;
- endure.. so needed when trials and persecution come our way.
I need you Lord. Bless me with grace to be wise, innocent, alert, trusting and enduring.