John references the following scripture then extrapolates the many blessings found in it ending with a classic John Gilman exhortation:
Over forty years ago, a ministering friend asked to meet. We visited for a few minutes and then he told me he was in debt and sinking. He, his wife, and I worked together on their finances for three years and finally they were free.
One pleasant surprise is the hidden long-term good the ministry accomplishes. Adopting biblical financial practices is far more beneficial than just financial freedom and increased giving.
Now this I say, he who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that always having all sufficiency in everything, you may have an abundance for every good deed; as it is written, "HE SCATTERED ABROAD, HE GAVE TO THE POOR, HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS ENDURES FOREVER." Now He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your righteousness; you will be enriched in everything for all liberality, which through us is producing thanksgiving to God. For the ministry of this service is not only fully supplying the needs of the saints, but is also overflowing through many thanksgivings to God. Because of the proof given by this ministry, they will glorify God for your obedience to your confession of the gospel of Christ and for the liberality of your contribution to them and to all, while they also, by prayer on your behalf, yearn for you because of the surpassing grace of God in you. Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift! (2 Corinthians 9:6-15)God’s many blessings for the generous person:
- The joy of generosity.
- Whoever sows generously will reap generously.
- God’s love for cheerful givers.
- All grace abounds to you.
- So you’ll have all that you need in all things at all times.
- And you’ll abound in every good work.
- Increase your store of seed for righteousness.
- Enlarge your harvest of righteousness.
- Become rich in every way so that
- You can be generous on every occasion.
- Supplying the needs of God’s people.
- Many expressions of thanks to God.
- People praising God for your obedience and generosity.
- People praying for you.
- People’s hearts going out to you because of God’s grace through you.
Let’s do as much good as we can get away with.