“Anything is possible if a person believes.” -Mark 9:23 NLT
These were the words that Jesus spoke to the father who questioned his ability to heal his son. The father's response to Jesus was a cry to help him overcome his doubts. Most of us can relate to these struggles. We understand that anything is possible for God but find it so hard to believe that He will actually do the impossible when we pray.
That said, I think that it is good for us to remember a few important points about this verse.
- When Jesus says "anything is possible" he is using hyperbole.
- Hyperbole points us to a greater truth but often breaks down in the details.
- It is not about believing for something but in Someone.
- God makes things possible when we believe in him.
- The impossible came because Jesus only did what he saw the Father doing.
... this devotion is part of an ongoing series on words in the bible.