For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the greatness of his government and peace there will be no end. He will reign on David’s throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever. The zeal of the Lord Almighty will accomplish this. -Isaiah 9:6-7 NLT
This is the prophecy that I think about when I consider Christmas. It is one of the most majestic in all of scripture. Handel used it when he penned The Messiah - I think that it inspired him as much as it does me. Written centuries before Jesus was born it speaks to us of the true nature of the Messiah. Isaiah describes the Messiah with these words:
• Son - not angelic but a temporal and a mortal human child like us;Isaiah proclaims that such a Messiah will reign over an ever expanding eternal government that will influence humanity and establish peace, justice and righteousness. He tells us that this new King will be greater than any that has ever lived. He ends by declaring that this Messiah will be the explicit personification of the Zeal of God.
• Mighty God - who could have imagined Almighty God coming in the flesh?
• Everlasting Father - he who had no beginning took on a human beginning coming as a baby;
• Wonderful Counselor - has there ever been a wiser teacher to walk the earth than Jesus?
• Prince of Peace - not a conquering warrior but royal, humble and loving servant.
Who cannot bow at your name Lord Jesus? In unison we declare that you are Messiah and King - now and forever.